While winter may detract you from spending as much time outdoors, it doesn’t mean you should put your golf game off entirely. By properly preparing ahead of time, choosing the right course to play, and accepting the differences between golfing in the winter and other seasons, you’ll find enjoyment in the game during the colder months.
Here are ten tips to get you started:
- Golf somewhere warm. The Myrtle Beach area is home to more than 90 amazing golf courses, and best of all, our winter weather tends to be mild, with average outdoor temperatures in the 60s. This means that you may end up having a much better golf experience here than you would anywhere else. With such a large a variety of golf courses to choose from for, you are bound to find the perfect course for your skill level.
- Wear an extra pair of socks. Let’s face it; no one wants to worry about cold toes when they’re about to putt. Consider packing a pair of thick wool socks that keep moisture out, so your feet stay dry and comfortable on the course.
- Wear extra layers. Since temperatures change throughout the day, consider wearing a long-sleeved shirt underneath your golf polo. The chunky sweaters from your dad’s generation no longer make the cut — instead, opt for lightweight knitwear made from performance wool. Use a weather app to look up the weather beforehand so you know how many layers you’ll need for that day.
- Have a realistic goal and stick to it. Winter is not the ideal time to attempt to set a new personal record. If you arrive on the course accepting this beforehand, you’re bound to have a much more enjoyable round.
- Walk instead of taking a cart. If you get the blood flowing, you’ll stay warmer. Riding in a golf cart may be quicker, but you may also battle the chilly wind. Skip the cart and walk the course instead!
- Enjoy an adult beverage. Keep a flask on hand of your favorite warming libation. Not a drinker? Consider carrying a thermos of a hot beverage of choice.
- Change to metal spikes. If your course allows it, change your soft spikes to the original metal spikes. This will give you more stability mid swing and help prevent injuries or falls. Most of these types of mishaps are more common during the winter months.
- Change up your strategies. Hit putts a bit harder. Grass tends to slow everything down when it is not cut as often in the winter. Also go up one club from your normal choice. Balls don’t fly as far in the cold air.
- Consider a golf glove for your other hand. If the temperature is cooler that day, you’ll want to keep both hands warm. Wearing another golf glove will keep the look consistent on the course.
- Call around for deals. Golf courses tend to be less busy during the off-season. Been meaning to get a big group of golfers together? Winter is the perfect time to plan a big group outing when there are discounts available.
Now is the perfect time to head south to the Myrtle Beach area and enjoy a few rounds of golf. By following these steps you’ll be sure to make the most of your winter golf experience. Contact Vacation Rentals of North Myrtle Beach to start planning your winter golf getaway today! And check out this featured property:
Marina Inn #7-403: Come stay at The Marina Inn at Grande Dunes and enjoy the luxuries of this premier resort in Myrtle Beach. Located right on the 17 Bypass across the street from Pirates’ Voyage and the Carolina Opry, you are close to many of the many attractions in the area. With awesome views of the Intracoastal Waterway and the Grande Dunes Golf Course, you will never want to leave!
This beautiful and spacious condo has a king bed in the master suite and 2 queen beds in the 2nd bedroom, with luxury linens & bedding. The living room and both bedrooms have flat screen TVs with DVD players. There are granite countertops in the kitchen and the bathrooms. The kitchen is fully stocked and has everything you need to cook meals. If you don’t feel like cooking, there are several restaurants onsite and a Ruth Chris’ Steakhouse within walking distance. Broadway at the Beach is right down the street. The beach is also located nearby and there is a shuttle that will take you there and back, or you can easily drive.
Weekend Getaway Special: Stay 2 nights at Marina Inn #7-403, get the 3rd night free in January when you mention this article!
The sea, the sun, and the Grand Strand! Vacation Rentals of North Myrtle Beach, LLC, is a premier, full-service, licensed property management company in North Myrtle Beach, SC. Whether you are booking a reservation for your vacation or entrusting us with the management of your property, our professionally trained staff will ensure that all the details of renting the property are handled in a pleasant, stress-free manner. Call us today at 888-488-8588!
Myrtle Beach Barefoot Resort, a division of Vacation Rentals of North Myrtle Beach, is just a hop skip and jump away from the beach and beautiful Barefoot Landing, and was built with golf in mind with four of the most amazing golf courses in the area. When planning your vacation getaway, Myrtle Beach Barefoot Resort will help you make the most of your visit to the Grand Strand. Call us today at 800-548-9904!