Holiday shopping can take a toll on your wallet, but that doesn’t mean you can’t be merry! Here are ten free things to do in the Myrtle Beach area this winter and in the upcoming year:
- The Beach: The off-season is a great time to visit the beach! Relax and unwind from your daily life as you walk along the beach and search for seashells, or sit on the sand and spend quality time with friends and family. North Myrtle Beach offers some of the widest beaches along the Grand Strand!
- Barefoot Landing: Looking for another peaceful place to discover while visiting Myrtle Beach? Check out Barefoot Landing, set along the Intracoastal Waterway and featuring a 27-acre lake. If you decide to spend some cash, there are plenty of popular dining, shopping and entertaining destinations to check out as well, such as the quaint Southern Shopping Village.
- T.I.G.E.R.S. Preservation Station Free Wildlife Exhibit: This living tiger exhibit gives you the chance to see some of the world’s rarest tigers, up-close and best of all, for FREE! Witness animals as they play and relax in an outdoor environment. Some of the tigers include Royal White Bengal tigers, Bengal tigers, and the rarest in the world, the Golden Tabby Tiger. If you do decide to donate, proceeds go towards conversation projects of the Rare Species Fund, and to the care and maintenance of the exhibit. During this encounter, you’ll have the chance to cuddle up and get hands on with a baby tiger right in your lap (photo encounters have additional cost).
- Broadway At The Beach: Broadway at the Beach stands as one of the most popular tourist destinations in the entire Myrtle Beach area year after year! Roam the area and visit the koi fish in the pond, or let small children play in the park. Check out Broadway at the Beach’s calendar for special events such as free fireworks!
- Heritage Shores Nature Preserve: This unique park, created in 2007, has seven acres of walking paths. Located on an island that extends into the Cherry Grove Marsh, this land is preserved in its native state. Access a series of elevated boardwalks and observation decks as you traverse the preserve. Learn about plants and animals native to the park as you view interpretive signage throughout the park. Have a small boat or watercraft? This park also features a stationary boat dock which provides access to the creek.
- North Myrtle Beach Park & Sports Complex: The North Myrtle Beach Park & Sports Complex features miles of interconnected walking trails around Carolina Bays. Experience cypress wetlands, plus three playgrounds and picnic shelters. This sprawling 162-acre space also hosts softball, baseball, soccer, lacrosse and countless other tournaments. If you bring your dog, make sure to check out the Waggin’ Tails Dog Park, which has separate sections for large and small dogs.
- Franklin G Burroughs – Simeon B Chapin Art Museum: This Art Museum is dedicated to being one of the finest visual arts museums in the Carolinas. View unique exhibitions, many from local artists. The museum also has interactive, educational and creative programs for people of all ages. Admission is always free, but donations are accepted.
- Vereen Memorial Historical Gardens: Vereen Memorial Historical Gardens features numerous hiking trails and wooden boardwalks that extend over several beautiful salt marshes and small islands. Stop at the gazebo that overlooks the Intracoastal Waterway. Located directly off US #17, this park has convenient access so you can park, stroll scenic paths, and take in the natural beauty of South Carolina.
- Myrtle Beach Boardwalk and Promenade: Enjoy 1.2 miles of oceanfront boardwalk, stretching from the Second Avenue Pier to the 14th Avenue Pier. This boardwalk feature three different sections of varying width and shape. The first section, the North Walkway, features a raised wooden deck, with dune landscaping and vegetation. This helps to create a serene, peaceful and natural beach experience. The second section, the high-intensity portion of the boardwalk, extending from Plyler Park to Eighth Avenue North, contains beachfront stores, shops, arcades and carnival attractions. The third and final section, the South Promenade, continuing from Eighth Avenue North to First Avenue North, just south of the Second Avenue Pier, contains benches with natural landscaping. Relax while taking in views of the beach and enjoy passive recreational activities.
- South Carolina Hall of Fame: Located on the first floor of the Myrtle Beach Convention Center, this free display features portraits and exhibits of famous South Carolina historical figures. Learn about eight of the signers of the Declaration of Independence and a Nobel prize winner. Some famous names include John C. Calhoun, Andrew Jackson, Apollo astronaut Charles M. Duke, Robert Mills and Dizzy Gillespie. Other interesting members include Ronald McNair, the nation’s first African-American astronaut who died in the 1986 Space Shuttle Challenger tragedy. Learn about controversial baseball figure “Shoeless” Joe Jackson, who was banned from the majors following his involvement in the Black Sox scandal. Any history fan visiting is sure to enjoy!
Contact Vacation Rentals of North Myrtle Beach to get started on your vacation today!
The sea, the sun, and the Grand Strand! Vacation Rentals of North Myrtle Beach, LLC, is a premier, full-service, licensed property management company in North Myrtle Beach, SC. Whether you are booking a reservation for your vacation or entrusting us with the management of your property, our professionally trained staff will ensure that all the details of renting the property are handled in a pleasant, stress-free manner. Call us today at 888-488-8588!
Myrtle Beach Barefoot Resort, a division of Vacation Rentals of North Myrtle Beach, is just a hop skip and jump away from the beach and beautiful Barefoot Landing, and was built with golf in mind with four of the most amazing golf courses in the area. When planning your vacation getaway, Myrtle Beach Barefoot Resort will help you make the most of your visit to the Grand Strand. Call us today at 800-548-9904!